Regular and decorative scissors
Red, white, and blue craft foam
Small hole punch
Small paintbrush or star stamp
30 small paper clips (ours were red, white, and blue)
12-inch wooden skewer with the sharp tips cut off
Ribbon or wire
13 bells (ours were 3/4 inch in size)
1. Cut out a 4 1/2- by 4-inch blue craft foam rectangle. Punch 4 evenly spaced holes on one of the long sides of the rectangle and 7 on the other.
2. Paint on the stars; we used a small star stamp.
3. Using scissors with decorative blades, cut out 7 red craft foam strips: three 1/2 by 8 inches, four 1/2 by 3 1/2 inches. Cut out 6 white craft foam strips: three 1/2 by 8 inches and three 1/2 by 3 1/2 inches.
4. Punch holes in both ends of all of the strips and thread paper clips through all the holes.
5. Attach the 7 short strips to the bottom of the blue square. Thread 4 paper clips through the holes at the top of the blue square.
6. Slide all the pieces onto the wooden skewer to form the flag, then attach a piece of ribbon or wire to the ends of the skewer as shown. Attach a bell to the clip on each strip and let your colors fly.